Making Windows 8 More User Friendly For Touchscreens
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is designed for touchscreen computers, but Microsoft didn’t take into account the size of peoples fingers so it can be difficult to use.
For example, closing or minimizing windows is difficult when the titlebar is a millimeter thick. The scrollbars have the same issue.
To fix this issue with windows 8, follow these simple steps:
To change the width of scrollbars
Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap OK.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
4. In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on ScrollHeight to be able to modify it. (see screenshot above)
5. Type in a data value between -120 to -1500, and click/tap OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: The default value is -255. A higher value (ex: -1000) will give you a wider scrollbar, and lower value (ex: -100) will give you a thinner scrollbar.
6. In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on ScrollWidth to be able to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)
7. Type in the same data value you entered for “ScrollHeight” in step 5 above, and click/tap OK. (see screenshot below)
8. Close regedit.
9. Sign out and sign in with your user account to apply.
To change the width of titlebars
1. Right-click on Desktop and select “Screen resolution” option.
2. It’ll open “Screen Resolution” window which allows you to change screen resolution and orientation. Click on the link “Make text and other items larger or smaller” as shown in following screenshot:
3. It’ll open “Display” settings window. Alternatively, you can open “Display” window by selecting “Personalize” option from Desktop context menu and then click on “Display” link given at the bottom of left-sidebar.
Here you can change the text size of various items such as icons, title bars, etc by selecting the item from drop-down list and then selecting the desired size for it from the 2nd drop-down box.
4. Once you set the desired text size, click on “Apply” button.